English teaching provides a powerful platform for building relationships with people in Cambodia. Possible opportunities include teaching civil servants in a Government Office, students at a University, or as part of a local church-planting strategy in a community.
English teaching provides a powerful platform for building relationships with people in Cambodia. English language is highly desired in Cambodia, and the language learning process automatically makes one vulnerable; having a teacher who is like Jesus (gentle, patient, kind) opens the way for a deep trust. And the relationship is the door to sharing about Jesus. God has given OMF in Cambodia a number of opportunities to use English as a platform for ministry. We currently have an open door to teach English to civil servants in two government ministries. As well, qualified English teachers can connect to the future leaders of Cambodia through teaching in the English program in the Royal University of Phnom Penh. In addition, English teachers can provide church planting teams an avenue to know and connect with the communities they are trying to reach. Through this ministry you will have a chance to meet genuine needs of people (e.g. by enabling them to interact better with foreigners in their work, understand and write English-language documentation, access training and attend overseas conferences using English, deepen their ability to learn their other subjects, give hope for a good paying job and better future), and at the same time, bring God’s light into places that most of us cannot go.
The government and university ministry is based in Phnom Penh, the nation's capital city of two million. The church/community contexts can be in various locations in Phnom Penh or upcountry.
You would commit to teach English (or other professional skills such as IT) to these Government staff, students, Churches or other communities, to make disciples and share Christ’s love with them.
Our ultimate aim is to see communities of disciples within these areas, meeting together to pray and encourage Christian witness in the workplace. You may also have further opportunities to contribute to the growth of the Cambodian Church.
This ministry is based in Phnom Penh, nation's capital city of two million plus inhabitans and the center of government, commerce, culture and education for Cambodia.
- Plan and deliver English lessons or other, relevant trainings.
- Adapt, design and produce teaching materials.
- Carry out assessments of students' needs and progress.
- Build good relationships with students, living out your life and sharing from your love for Jesus.
- Be actively involved in the local church, and encourage Cambodians in whole-life discipleship.
- A deep and growing love for God.
- A daily personal relationship with God that will guide you through the challenges of living overseas.
- A desire to serve the Cambodian people.
- Ability to share your faith and disciple others in your daily life.
- Willingness to learn and appreciate the Khmer language and culture.
- A recognized entry-level TESOL/TEFL qualification (for English teaching). The more qualified, the better.
- At least one year’s teaching experience.
- Early retirees are welcome.
- Previous cross-cultural experience would be an advantage.
- Some cultural orientation and language-learning prior to starting work (length will be dependent on duration of stay)
- Must adopt a simple lifestyle in keeping with a Cambodian person of teacher status.
- Commitment to a minimum of 11 months or more
- Ability to be adaptable in a ministry context which may lack resources and present significant spiritual, emotional and cultural challenges.
- Willing to work in a less structured work environment.
- This is not a salaried position; you will need to trust the Lord for personal support
*Australian citizens and/or residents only