It is often said that University is the one period in their lives when Japanese people have some time - sandwiched between the intense exam preparation period of high school and the pressures of the work place. It is a key time when people have time to think about the bigger issues of life. Yet there are many Universities and Colleges where there are no known Christians. We want to place people to reach these students for Jesus.
Our mission is the urgent evangelisation and discipleship of the people of Japan. Evangelism and discipleship of students is a key part of this.
Where possible we try to cooperate with KGK (the name of the IFES movement in Japan) and local churches.
Student work takes place at present in the major cities of Tokyo, Sapporo and Sendai. In addition some people are involved in reaching students from a local church in other cities in Japan. You may live near a University or College to make it easier to build contact and invite students to your house or apartment.
- Seek opportunities to meet with students on campuses through teaching, participation in clubs, and whatever other means are possible.
- Initiate activities to attract students.
- Be available to spend time with students.
- Challenge unreached Japanese students with the claims of the gospel.
- Seek by every means to lead university students to a saving faith in Christ.
- Disciple Christian students to be aware of the vast spiritual needs around them and not be swamped.
- Help integrate new Christians into the local church, and inspire them with a vision to reach out to others.
- You will usually be expected to have two years' Bible college training, or the equivalent. Prior student work experience is desirable, but not essential.
- Initially you will study for up to 26 months at our Japanese Language and Culture Centre in Sapporo. Upon graduation you will have a period of training for a further 2+ years with a senior missionary or Japanese pastor when you can learn about and be involved in different aspects of church life and student outreach in Japan.
- You should have some experience in personal evangelism and discipleship, and have a good grasp of biblical truth.
- You must be able to show initiative when going into universities to find ways of making their own contacts and seek positively to lead young men and women to Christ.
- You need to be willing to take time with students, understand their concerns, and so learn how best to present the gospel to them.
*Australian citizens and/or residents only