Providing teaching expertise at Cambodian Government-sponsored Universities in a variety of disciplines; building local capacity; engaging in campus witness in partnership with IFES or local churches.
Are you passionate to see communities of disciples multiplying throughout Cambodia and beyond? Are you passionate to see God use your university work for the growth of His Kingdom? If so, there may be an opportunity for you to join the OMF Cambodia team.
During the Khmer Rouge genocide, Cambodia's education system was totally destroyed. But today, demand for education is growing fast, and the need to train a new generation of teachers, leaders and intellectuals is immense. These felt needs present opportunities for us to demonstrate Christ's love in our contribution to development, and to make Christ known with academics and students, many of whom will themselves become the leaders and teachers of tomorrow.
Using the Khmer language, you will be focused on
(i) helping Cambodians to raise teaching quality (and research capacity) in a Government-sponsored university, and
(ii) partnering with the Fellowship of Evangelical Students and local churches in evangelism and discipleship, as part of our vision to see a movement of disciples among Cambodia's students and academics.
- An initial period of language study and cultural adaptation followed by working as a lecturer in a university.
- Build educational capacity (teaching and research), for example as a subject advisor, team-teaching with Cambodian colleagues, supervising research students, developing new programs and facilities, and networking with partner institutions.
- Build good relationships with colleagues and students, sharing Christ widely.
- Opportunities exist in a variety of disciplines.
- Be actively involved in the local church, and encourage Cambodians in whole-life discipleship.
- A deep and growing love for God.
- A desire to serve the Cambodian people.
- Ability to share your faith and disciple others in your daily life.
- Ability to learn and speak the Khmer language.
- Willingness to understand and appreciate the Khmer culture.
- At least Masters degree (preferably PhD) qualification and at least 1 year's experience in teaching and/or research in higher education.
- Experience in postgraduate (Masters) program design and development, and postgraduate research training and supervision would be an advantage.
- Experience in teacher-training or facilitating academic staff development would be an advantage.
- Minimum of one year Bible college training or equivalent, preferably including cross-cultural experience.
- A period of full time cultural orientation and language-learning prior to starting work, then continued language study part time.
- Must adopt a simple lifestyle in keeping with a Cambodian person of teacher status.
- Commitment to a minimum of 3 years or more
- Ability to be adaptable in a ministry context which may lack resources and present significant spiritual, emotional and cultural challenges.
- Willing to work in a less structured work environment.
- This is not a salaried position; you will need to trust the Lord for personal support.
*Australian citizens and/or residents only