This opportunity is to work at a government hospital alongside national physicians, nurses, and medical professionals, facilitating them in their work, developing relationships with them, teaching them English, and doing so in the context of a like-minded team.
Life in the capital city, is urban but comfortable. The weather is tropical with seasons that are hot and dry, hot and wet, and warm and dry. Most people rent homes, not apartments, and transportation is mainly by personal motorcycle, bicycle, or automobile. The language is challenging but doable, the people are friendly, and the food, though spicy, is good.
Our team is focused on medical professionals, and in particular at two local government hospitals. Doctors and nurses are influential, privileged, but not necessarily wealthy, and most are interested in improving their skills and their English. Most are culturally Buddhist but in their hearts are a strong mix of animism and materialism. Currently (April 2013) there are no known believers in either hospital where we work.
This opportunity, if seized, would provide more and more relationships for national medical professionals with those who follow Jesus. It is also holistic in nature, as our team brings needed skills with an attitude of building their human resources. Thus, in the context of loving our neighbors as ourselves, we gain opportunity to share our world view them, and help them share with others.
- Attending daily inpatient activities within your given specialty/assigned department. This often includes morning report and rounds
- Collaborating with national colleagues on difficult cases and in roles such as teaching
- Teaching residents, medical students, and nursing students
- Attending social functions such as weddings and other ceremonies
- Working closely with a team of like-minded individuals
- Steady and progressive commitment to learning the trade language
- Intent on being in country long term (3+ years).
- Medical degree (M.D. or D.O.) with completion of residency (many specialties are applicable) or Nursing degree (RN, LPN, etc.)
Desirable but not necessary:
- Overseas ministry experience
*Australian citizens and/or residents only