Outreach To Indoneasian University Students through English
We as a multicultural team are focused on a large people group living both in the city and in rural areas. Currently there are only a handful of scattered believers and not yet any viable indigenous communities of faith in Jesus among them. Our vision is to see numerous people growing in their knowledge of Jesus Christ. We build relationships as we serve among these people, showing love and sharing Jesus in word and deed.
One of our programs is an English Centre which caters mainly for university students. Most of these students are studying English at their respective universities, however they have very little opportunity to use their English. The centre provides the opportunity for the students to use their English and interact with English speakers. The applicant would spend time building relationships through hanging out with students, visiting with them, facilitating English conversation groups and helping them know more about Jesus.
Through building these relationships the applicant will have opportunity to show and share the love of Jesus.
We live in a busy, vibrant city of just under one million people. There are numerous vehicles and motorcycles buzzing around the city. The housing ranges from simple wooden shacks to massive mansions. It is very hot and humid and rainy season brings relief for a few months of the year.
According to Encyclopaedia Britannica the population of Indonesia is 87% Muslim. There is also a significant population of Buddhists, Hindus and Christians.
- Build relationships with university students and help them understand Jesus better.
- Facilitate English conversation groups at the English Centre.
- Give motivational speeches to classes on the university campuses on why learning English is important.
- Study the local language and actively learn about the culture and worldview of the people.
- Ability to connect and build relationships with university students.
- Passion relationship with Jesus
- A good command of the English language.
- The applicant will be required to dress according to local cultural norms which means modest dress as well as adjusting lifestyle and language to share about Jesus.
- Work with a diverse team of people from different cultures.
- Have an attitude that is flexible and willing to learn.
*Australian citizens and/or residents only