Work with local churches to develop strategies for ministering too and reaching out to handicapped people in Taiwan and those who care for them.
Taiwan's society is improving in its help for disabled but in many areas they feel marginalised and isolated, especially the less educated who are unable to access the available resources. Few churches have adequate disabled access and only a few understand the needs of the disabled and those who care for them. There is a great opportunity to educate churches and to show love for those who feel marginalised in society.
Missionaries with vision and hopefully experience will help local churches to recognise this mission field on their doorstep. This mobilizes the local church for mission and also reaches the working class and urban marginalised, both of which are a key part of our field vision and mission.
Missionaries will live in apartments in the neighborhood where they are serving, mostly in urban environments. Taiwan is wealthy and advanced, so the standard of living is relatively high. Communications and transportation are excellent. The culture, language, food and values of the people are primarily Chinese.
Working in a team with a local church. Developing relationships with handicapped people and their families through pastoral visits, running educational classes, organising trips and outings etc.
* A passion to reach the lost and gifts in personal evangelism and discipleship. These are more important than higher qualifications or prior experience. A willingness to learn and high people skills is essential. Some experience of working with the target groups - either Physically or Mentally handicapped (adult or children) would be a bonus.
* Some formal Bible college training is necessary. The government requires incoming missionaries to have recently spent one to two years in Christian ministry in order to qualify for a missionary visa.
* Must be willing to work as part of a team.
* Creativity and initiative are needed to try out new methods of evangelism and to experiment with different church structures.
* Flexibility, open to new ideas and able to function well in an unstructured situation with a lot of freedom.
Flexibility to cope with lack of control and people orientated work culture.?br>Driving ability a bonus
Some medical, social work, teaching skills useful.
*Australian citizens and/or residents only