Reach out to the women society have neglected, and demonstrate to them God's love for all and his heart for the broken. For both Mandarin and non-Mandarin speakers.
Our project aims provide a way for women who have been previously working in the sex industry to begin a new life where they can find healing and know themselves as valued and loved. The women are mainly young (16-24 years old) who have come from the countryside to the city to find work. We have a jewellery company which provides alternative, safe employment for the women, and additionally provides accommodation, training and discipleship. It also acts as a base for continued outreach to women still working in brothels.
The women society has forgotten are still precious to God. Women's lives are changed as they know themselves loved by God and also as they gain confidence in themselves. Volunteers can help in this by demonstrating the love of Jesus to them through all aspects of their lives and accepting them. Mandarin-speaking volunteers can help in this by teaching Bible studies, and also by helping to give more women a chance for change by helping to build relationship with women still working in the sex industry. Non-mandarin speaking volunteers can also by helping to support our local team members by teaching them, encouraging them and praying for them.
As one of the large cities in China that house the urban billion, the city is developing fast (population currently at 10 million) and most modern amenities are readily available. Truth be told it's not the world's most beautiful city and often air quality is poor, relatively few foreigners live here, English is not widely spoken and western food is limited in choice. But - the novelty means that locals are generally very welcoming and friendly to international visitors.
- Getting to know and befriending the girls in creative ways
- Possibly living with some of the girls in the shelter ?cooking, cleaning and having fun with them
- Going into migrant worker areas and supporting outreach workers with prayer and presence
For Mandarin speakers only:
- Going into migrant worker areas and taking opportunities to share the good news with them?br>?Leading morning devotions in our company
- Translating materials
- This opportunity is only suitable for women
- Mature Christian
- Good bible knowledge and some ability to teach
- A good level of Mandarin if wanting to teach the Bible and some other responsibilities
- Non-Mandarin speakers should still have good communication skills and tolerance for being in different language situations
- Non-judging, grace-filled attitude
- Friendly, outgoing attitude that can overcome language barriers
- Willingness to submit to and serve under local leadership
- Willingness to love people who are not always easy to love and serve people who don't always appreciate you
*Australian citizens and/or residents only