How would you like to combine your passion for dance with serving God in Japan? At LINK we have a vision to use dance/performing arts to meet and build relationships with young adults in the Tokyo area, seeking to share the gospel with them.
The youth of today are the leaders of tomorrow. Sadly in Japan there are very few Christian young people - some may have never even met a Christian before, let alone heard the gospel or thought about visiting a church. Yet many young people are open to new ideas and are at a stage of life where they are considering their identity and direction in life. That is why at LINK we want to make the most of this window of opportunity, using dance and performing arts to connect with young adults in the Tokyo area and share our faith with them.
We are looking for dancers to come and join us in this exciting ministry.
As a Dance Ministry Worker at LINK your main focus will be meeting and building friendships with young adults who share the same interest in dance/performing arts and seeking to share your faith with them. You will not only reach out to non-Christians but will also have the opportunity to encourage and support Christian dancers in the Tokyo area, many of whom may be struggling to share their faith with other dancers.
Tokyo is an amazing place with many opportunities to meet new people. It can be difficult adjusting to the differences of Japanese culture and learning the language. However, dance can help break the ice and open the way to many friendships and opportunities to share about our wonderful God.
Initial period of language and culture study (usually at OMF's school in Sapporo) and ongoing study throughout your time in ministry.
Assisting with LINK's Shinjuku Gospel Hip-Hop outreach (Tuesday and Thursday nights) and other dance events ?this may include helping with teaching the classes (dance styles other than hip-hop are ok), planning, publicity on social media, choreography, music and video editing, giving your testimony, helping with decorations, food, games, discussions, etc.
Depending on your preference and the opportunities available, you may choose to start new dance/performing arts groups or join other existing groups.
Keeping in touch with people you meet, building friendship and seeking to share your faith with them. You may have opportunity to lead a Bible study with individuals or groups, depending on your gifts.
Attending weekly LINK team meetings for debriefing, fellowship, prayer and planning.
Supporting the youth work and activities at the local church where you will be assigned.
* You are a committed Christian with a passion to share your faith with others
* You are a dancer of any dance style (minimum intermediate level)
* Some dance teaching experience would be helpful but not essential.
* You must hold a tertiary level qualification in order to obtain a visa
* A servant attitude, flexible and able to work well with a team
* Willing to accept a challenge and have a go at things even if you have no experience
* Self-discipline in time management
* Emotionally stable and self-sufficient - you may need to work on your own at times and life in Tokyo can be very busy so there may be times when people are not available to meet with you - you will need to be able to cope with the potential loneliness.
* Able to get around town on your own, either on public transport or by bicycle
Living in a share house is recommended. In Japan share houses are very popular and range in size from just a few to hundreds of residents. Living in a share house is a great way to meet people, make great friends, have a lot of fun and find many opportunities to share your faith. For more information about this and other accommodation options, please inquire.
*Australian citizens and/or residents only