Ministry to working class Taiwanese women dealing with domestic violence and conflict, and personal emotional and social challenges.
OMF's ministries in Taiwan are mainly focused on working class communities. Within these communities many women have faced a lifetime of physical, emotional or sexual abuse. They are often struggling with family breakdown, financial pressures to support their family and personal emotional and psychological problems.
Ministry to women includes focusing on those within the sex industry, as well as those who are marginalised or suffering in other ways.
Most ministry teams in Taiwan need people to who can focus on practically assisting and serving these women to experience the transforming power of Christ's love.
OMF is seeking to pioneer in new areas and to partner with local churches who have a similar vision. People are needed to join existing church planting teams, and assist them to focus serving the needs faced by working class women.
Missionaries will live in apartments in the neighborhood where they are serving, mostly in urban environments. Taiwan is wealthy and advanced, so the standard of living is relatively high. Communications and transportation are excellent. The culture, language, food and values of the people are primarily Chinese.
* Taking time to understand the local community, build relationships with women and serve them.
* Providing personal support, counseling or social assistance as needed.
* Sharing the gospel with women in word and through practical love and discipling those who come to faith in Christ.
* Where local churches exist, working alongside them to integrate people who are reached into the life of the church.
* A passion to reach the lost and to care for hurting people.?br>* Gifts in personal ministry, counseling or social work.
* Some formal Bible college training is necessary. The government also requires incoming missionaries to have recently spent one to two years in Christian ministry.
* Must be willing to work as part of a team.
* Flexibility, open to new ideas and able to function well in an unstructured situation with a lot of freedom.
* Willing to learn Mandarin or Taiwanese to a high level in order to communicate effectively.
* Need to adjust to a busy, crowded, and often noisy environment. Life in Taiwan is often exciting but also exhausting.
* Oral methods of communication (e.g. Bible storying, testimonies, music, drama) are most effective in evangelism and discipleship. A willingness to learn these ways of communicating the gospel is essential.
* Taiwanese people are deeply religious. Spiritual attack and demonic activity are not uncommon. Spiritual maturity is needed to deal with these situations.
* Practical skills or training in areas that can be used to serve working class people are a plus. e.g. counseling, social work, education
*Australian citizens and/or residents only