Help reach out to Japanese university and college students and connect them with churches and ministries in regional centers. Encourage and support church members and missionaries focused on bringing the Gospel to unchurched areas in the regional areas of Japan.
Over 34 million people, one quarter of the population of Japan lives in Regional Areas. These areas are made up of a regional center and surrounding towns, villages and rural areas. Many churches planted 50 years ago are now small and aging. There are many small towns without a local church and people have little if no contact with believers.
Provide ministry support to missionaries and local churches focused on reaching and sharing the Gospel with Japanese people. Your ministry will help widen a church or ministry’s network of relationships amongst students Your presence will help build a local church’s network of relationships and strengthen its witness and integrity in community.
Tohoku is a beautiful area. There are few international tourists and outside the Regional Centers many people are rice and apple farmers. People are looking for things to do so there are many opportunities to reach out to people through creative ways.
Your ministry will include:
- Meeting with students and young adults in the area.
- Provide support for church planting ministry in reaching out to students
- Building friendships with Japanese people
- Attending and serving with a local church
- Helping with English conversation sessions
- Help with light building and maintenance projects of a local church or ministry
- Depending on the length of the placement, one month of full-time Japanese language learning may be arranged at OMF’s Japanese Language & Culture Centre in Sapporo, Hokkaido. Time can also be set aside during the week for personal language learning and language exchange, which could a form of outreach as well.
- No certificates, diplomas, and work experience needed.
- This placement may help fulfill Bible College internship requirements.
- Volunteers will need to come able to do the work needed.
- You will be living in accommodation provided by a local church. Life will be simple but comfortable. Regional areas by Japanese standards may mean adjustment for those used to living in cities and urban areas.
- You will need to be flexible and willing to take initiative.
- Up to 12 months, anytime during the year.
- Approx. Costs: USD $30/day, excluding travel costs, insurances, and administrative fees.
*Australian citizens and/or residents only