We're looking to build a team of people with the skills and passion to train nationals and through them transform the livelihoods, and lives, of coastal communities on the islands of Indonesia
Coastal areas in Indonesia face an uncertain future. Fish stocks are declining, habitats are being degraded, natural disasters are frequent and there are few opportunities for young people. Many of these villages are unreached, they have no witness to Jesus. Imagine believers being sent to those villages and serving them by forming cooperatives, establishing processing businesses, supporting aquaculture ventures, mobilising mangrove replanting efforts and, in all of this, pointing them towards the God who loves them. This is our dream and we're asking God to send people with the experience and passion to make this happen.
We need people with technical expertise in fish farming or fish processing. Businessmen and women who have a nose for turning a profit and helping coastal communities at the same time. We need academics who want to research mangroves, grouper farming or cold storage facilities and translate their findings into tangible benefits for local people. When the expertise and initiative that these folks bring is coupled with the passion of motivated gospel workers we have a potent combination for transformation. This is a pioneering work.
We envisage that it will be national believers who live long-term in these rural communities and that those involved in training and supporting them will probably be based in urban centres. However, we want to develop a centre of excellence for coastal livelihoods and this may well be located in a rural area and will need staffing.
- language and culture learning?br>?developing and implementing the vision of a coastal centre of excellence
- modelling community development and coastal enterprises to national workers so they can start similar ventures elsewhere
- participating in team life, encouraging one another to live for Jesus
Businessmen and women will need an entrepreneurial spirit and ideally a track record in a coastal business. We will look for local partners to work with them to get their business off the ground.
If the person is based at a university they will need a minimum of a Masters degree and will need to be prepared to teach/conduct research.
- Willing to be patient, prayerful and see where God leads (flexible)
- while we have a clear sense of the goal we will be working out the details as we go along.
- Committed to direct ministry among a particular people group.
- Able to maintain good spiritual health, even in the face of practical and spiritual challenges.
- Willing to work together with mutual accountability, but also self-reliant and independently motivated.
- Willing to work alongside and in partnership with nationals.
- Willing to adopt local expectations regarding such matters as clothing, food and relationships with those of the opposite sex.
- Willing to serve others working among our particular people group.
*Australian citizens and/or residents only