Help Doctor or physican needed to advise, faciltate and help provide the medical care for approximately 50 missionaries in the Philippines field.
Help missionaries stay on the field by supporting them through facilitating medical care, advice and encouragement.
The Field Medical Advisor provides an internal occupational health service to OMF members in the Philippines. This includes advice and preventative health care, to enable members to serve as effectively as possible.
There are also opportunities to be involved in ministry to Filipinos: partnering with NGOs, or other mission agencies, and working alongside other medical personnel, such as in urban poor communities, in keeping with the Philippines field vision of partnering with others to establish and equip communities of believers.
- Provide health advice to members on the field, either in person or electronic means
- Consult closely with OMF's International Medical Advisor and other Medical Advisors
- Communicate with field and home leadership in matters related to the health of members and their fitness for service. This includes risk assessment and recommendations that may affect designation or continued service on the field.
- Maintain a copy of members’ medical records
- Communicate on specific medical issues with other Medical Advisors or non-OMF health care professionals as needed
- Perform or arrange for two-yearly medical examinations for all members and their children. (This is an opportunity for an in-depth discussion of matters of concern to the member, including emotional, psychological, and spiritual matters, not just physical issues.)
- Maintain awareness of available medical services in each region where OMFers are based, and establish relationships with local Filipino medical personnel: some traveling is involved
- Facilitate medical consultations, investigations, treatments, hospitalization and recuperation as necessary
- As these member-care duties may not constitute a full-time job, the Field Medical Advisor is free to pursue other ministries as agreed by field leadership, based on the individual's gifts and interests and the vision of OMF in the Philippines
- Medical doctor/fully qualified physician with appropriate post-graduate training and qualifications especially with an interest in primary care. The exact specialty training is not as important as a concern for whole-person care.
- Experience in adult and pediatric medicine
- General/Family Practice experience preferable, but not essential
- Administrative ability is required. The Field Medical Advisor is expected to maintain adequate records, schedule examinations, and communicate clearly with members, other health care professionals, and OMF leadership.
- Good computer skills
- Basic counseling skills desirable
- Strong commitment to member care
- Christian maturity and high spiritual standards are essential, as is a strong commitment to cross-cultural ministry. Thus, while the focus as Field Medical Advisor is on care of members, there must also be a concern for the spread of the gospel in the Philippines
- Men, women, couples and families welcome to apply
- If spouse is a non-medic, there are other ministry opportunities available
- Minimum commitment of three years but long term preferred
- Application through the normal OMF process as a Member, Affiliate or Associate is required
- A period of language, culture and worldview learning will be expected upon joining the Field
- This is a non-salaried position - support is required for this role.
- Good English proficiency, although English can be a second language
*Australian citizens and/or residents only