Millions of Chinese students are studying abroad, and coming back to China with an openness to the gospel, or even having believed. However, 8 out of 10 of them give up their faith find their old life and new self clash on their return, and are prone to giving up their faith. Others struggle to survive in local fellowships that seem so different to what they attended when abroad.
As you attend regular gatherings of returned Chinese students (returnees), you will have the opportunity to connect with and disciple them. As you do this and build up relationships with regular attendees, and yourself attending a local gathering, you will have the opportunity to build up the body of Christ, and encourage them to reach their own.
This large urban center in China is home to people from all over China. With modern conveniences, efficient public transportation, access to Western groceries, traffic congestion, high-rises, and a massive population, living here is much like it would be in any global city... only, completely different! Be prepared for chaos, friendly people, delicious street food, and the hustle and bustle as you brush shoulders with China's urban billion in one of the world's largest cities.
- Attending and supporting weekly returnee gatherings
- Doing one-on-one meet-ups with local believers
- Connecting with other workers doing similar work - local and foreign
- You may be required to get a secular job in order to sustain a visa
- A good knowledge of the Bible
- Experience reading the Bible with others / leading Bible study / discipling others
- A servant heart - readiness to put others needs before your own
- Willingness to perseverance
Some qualities that will be useful:
- Ability to be flexible
- Ability to build meaningful relationships with others
- Willingness to take initiative in making new friends
*Australian citizens and/or residents only