Are you passionate to see communities of disciples multiplying throughout Cambodia and beyond? Are you passionate about evangelizing, discipling and training others? Do you have a specific passion for the urban poor and the patience to get alongside the marginalized, those in addiction and bondage? If so, there may be an opportunity for you to join the OMF Cambodia team working among the urban poor.
While the Christian Church is growing in Cambodia, the percentage of Cambodians that are Christian is still only 1-2%. Although there are congregations in all the major cities, the poor and outcast often do not feel welcome in the church. Society generally looks down on those living in the poorest communities such as prostitutes, transvestites and people with addictions of many kinds: alcohol, drugs, gambling, etc. They need people with loving hearts to bring them to Jesus, who is able to change their lives.
OMF’s ministry among the urban poor is named ‘Hope for Life’ ministries a wholistic church-planting ministry among the urban poor in the Stung Meanchey area of Phnom Penh. The Urban Poor team is involved in church planting and is in partnership with other likeminded organisations who are dealing with social, physical and emotional needs in the community.
You would commit to reach out to the less reached people groups in these poor areas, which means investing in the most broken people in the city. We also want to raise awareness in the existing churches in Phnom Penh to encourage them to reach out to those in need around them. This ministry brings emotional strain to the workers, but alongside the tears and hardship there is also enormous joy at seeing people being changed by the power of the risen Lord.
You will serve more as a facilitator and mentor, not a leader and pastor. The goal will be to work towards planting mature, indigenous reproducing churches (often described as churches that are “self-leading, self-financing and self-propagating”). You will work to incorporate new believers into the life and ministry of the church, establish local leadership and equip church members to make new disciples and establish new church groups. You will avoid using methods that foster dependency on outside funds or resources, encouraging Cambodian Christians to look to God to supply all their needs.
Develop and implement strategies for the following:
- Prayer for the target area and/or people group. This includes mobilizing others to pray, such as home churches and prayer partners.
- Intentionally evangelize non-believers in an urban poor setting.
- Equip believers to study, obey and teach the Bible, to pray and evangelize.
- Assist believers to make new disciples and establish new churches
- A deep and growing love for God
- A desire to serve the Cambodian people, especially those in poverty
- A thorough knowledge of the Bible
- Ability to share your faith and disciple others
- An attitude to take risks and thinking outside the box without being careless
- A life long learning attitude
- Ability to learn and speak the Khmer language
- Willingness to understand and appreciate the Khmer culture
- A willingness to work in a team of Khmer and expats of different nationalities
- Previous cross-cultural experience would be an advantage
*Australian citizens and/or residents only