- 7,107 islands
- 100 million people
- 170 languages and dialects
- 320 people per km2 (national average)
- 42,000 barangays (smallest government unit)
- Spanish colony from 1565 to 1898
- USA colony until independence in 1946
- Roman Catholic: 71%?
- Evangelical Christian: 8 -12%
- Muslim: 6%
- Quasi-Christian groups, cults and sects: 8%
- Indigenous Tribal: 1.8%
- Chinese Buddhist: 0.5%
- Non-religious: 0.7%
Make an impact in a variety of ways so that people come to a clear understanding of the Bible and become disciples of Jesus, which will lead to the vision of Biblical communities of faith in the unreached communities of the Philippines. This will in turn lead to a transformation of society.
- Pray for openings into a community
- Build relationships with people in the community by using your gifts, talents, and abilities, and some creativity too
- Disciple these people to faith and growth as believers in Jesus
- Work with believers to establish communities of faith
There will be opportunity to repeat the process in new locations, maybe even with some of the new believers as team mates!
We are looking for people:
- with a variety of gifts, experiences, and skills to contribute to the ministry
- with a minimum of two years of Bible school (seminary) training with cross-cultural studies or equivalent
- with experience in relationship building and discipleship
- able to work in an international team, alongside local believers
- able to persevere in ministry in a spiritually dark context with frequent natural disasters, political instability and wide-spread corruption
You will develop flexibility and humility, and learn how to cope with uncertainty, so you need to be willing!
In the process, you will grow in:
- trusting God and the Holy Spirit
- understanding what it means to love your neighbour as yourself
- hanging around and making friends
You will be given the opportunity to study the language and to use it
*Australian citizens and/or residents only