Chinese universities are seeking excellent and experienced researchers in areas such as Engineering, Chemistry, Computer Science, Physics. If you qualify for a role such as this, you could then have the opportunity to connect with other faculty members and students, living and working among them. As you do so, you will also have the opportunity to demonstrate the gospel through your work, life, relationships and words.
Using your professional background as not just a platform, but also as ministry in itself, allows you to access many people whom are otherwise difficult for the local church to reach. Many within this world come from an atheistic worldview, and yet many also have been impacted by coming into contact with the gospel after time abroad.
The cities of China are known to be crowded, sometimes polluted, and generally chaotic. However, as one billion people flow into the cities of China, these cities are also filled with people who need to, and long to, know that they have been created and have value. With this longing, people are often very open to the gospel, and want to know what it is that fills Jesus-followers with such certain hope.
Work (the actual work likely to be required of your employer):
- Actual role with the university will depend on your background and training, however, may include a combination of research and teaching in your department of the university
- Work together with other faculty within the department
Ministry side of this role (things you could hope to do concurrent to your professional work):
- Connect with other believers in your faculty, discipling and walking alongside them
- Walk alongside seekers within your faculty
- Work closely with other foreign Christian teachers on campus
- Being available to meet up with believers and seekers outside of the workplace, attend / lead small group as opportunities arise
- Minimum PhD in your field, plus publications
- Ability to use English for work
- Mandarin not initially required, however, you will be encouraged to do language study on the side as it will be very useful for ministry and also for the workplace
* A heart that seeks to serve, and hands that are willing to hold loosely to your career.
* A willingness to do a good job in the workplace and see that as an opportunity to witness to Christ.
*Australian citizens and/or residents only