Australian Society for Indigenous Languages (AuSIL) supports the aspirations of Indigenous language communities.
• The task would involve long-distance driving with up to four weeks at a time away from Alice, visiting, on separate trips, the Ngaanyatjarra lands in WA, the Pitjantjatjara lands (mostly in SA) as well as Warlpiri, Alyawarr and Anmatyerr areas to the north of Alice Springs.
• There would also be the possibility of visiting Aboriginal residential hostels in Alice Springs, where community people are based for medical reasons, and the ‘town camps’, which function rather like remote communities, but are located around the fringes of Alice Springs.
• A love for, and a desire to work amongst Indigenous people.
• A commitment to learn a little of at least one indigenous language.
• Bible college (at least one year) and SIL training qualifications
Additional: Six weeks’ language and culture training (called Launch). Completion of Orientation workshops, held at our National Centre in Kangaroo Ground, Victoria
*Australian citizens and/or residents only