An Alpha Mission Team is a practical two-year missionary training programme for single people and families. Each team consists of six to ten people, who are guided and trained by an experienced missionary.
“It has always been my ambition to preach the gospel where Christ was not known …”
Do these words of the Apostle Paul resonate with you? Would you too like to make Jesus known in places where people have never had the opportunity to hear of him? Would you like to be well-equipped to do so?
If so, joining an Alpha Mission Team could be just the opportunity you’ve been looking for to launch yourself into cross-cultural ministry!
World Outreach needs couples, families, and single people to commit to serve on an Alpha Mission Team. This will involve relocating to and living among an unreached people group for two years.
If you join one of these teams, World Outreach will help you prepare to go by allocating an experienced missionary who will be your mentor while you raise support and prepare to go. We will find accommodation for you in the country and will assist you in obtaining a visa. We will train you in cross-cultural missions and will provide leadership for your team. We will draw from our resources and experience to help your team in any way we can. Together we will trust God to bring forth fruit for his kingdom!
Bringing the love of God to a dark place is not easy. This is not for everyone. We are looking for people who want to be part of God’s plan and make a significant difference for eternity.
If you want to walk a walk of faith with Jesus, be like Isaiah and say to the Lord, “Here I am, send me” (Is 6:8). Join an Alpha Mission Team!
From day one of the two-year programme, you will be a real missionary. This is apostolic, frontline work. We cannot promise that it will be easy. You probably won’t become famous. But you will feel fulfilled in playing a significant part in helping to fulfil the Great Commission.
What will you be doing?
- Learning about both the theory and the practical side of missions.
- Learning the language – to become fluent in it. One of the reasons people are unreached is that they don’t understand English. It takes between ten months and two years of sustained, concentrated effort to learn a language well enough to be able to make disciples in that language.
- Learning the culture – “culture” is not just how you look or dress. Culture encompasses everything you do: how you think, how you react to things, how you learn, and most importantly, how you respond to the Gospel. It is immeasurably important to understand the people.
- Making good friends with the people and learning to love them as Jesus does.
- Learning to understand their religion so that you understand how to introduce them to Jesus.
- Sharing the Gospel once you are able.
- Learning how to start multiplying fellowships (Church Planting Movements / Disciple Making Movements).
- Learning how to lovingly make disciples of Jesus who in turn make other disciples.
- Learning more about what Jesus meant when he said, “Deny yourself, take up your cross, and follow me”.