Mission Aviation Fellowship (MAF) is an organisation using light aircraft to deliver help and hope in over 30 developing countries, for more than 75 years! MAF transports patients, relief workers, produce, and medical supplies to the world’s remotest regions and places of deepest human need – places where flying is not a luxury but a lifeline.
We have a great opportunity for an Aircraft Engineer to join our Mareeba Maintenance Team to support operational MAF Programs by maintaining a range of aircraft types within the MAF Fleet.
Our aircraft land on some of the most challenging terrain you can imagine. Safety is key so the skill that an engineer brings to our aircraft is essential. We operate mainly single-engine turbine and single-engine piston aircraft. If you are interested in combining your engineering skills with the opportunity to serve in mission this could be the job for you.
Andy one of our engineers writes;
“In the hangar, our typical days usually involve inspections. Much of our work is preventative so by carrying out inspections every 50 or 100 operational hours, we are able to catch most things before they become problems. Since our Uganda program is quite big, we’re also able to take on some bigger projects too, that might involve delving into parts of an aircraft not normally opened, replacing entire avionics systems with new digital “glass cockpit” packages, or stripping all of the paint off an aircraft to carry out structural repairs then repaint in our new colour scheme.”
**NOTE: This position is only open to those with a ‘right to work’ in Australia due to Immigration restrictions. As part of the recruitment process, a Criminal History check will be required for the successful candidate. **
In this role you must have comprehensive knowledge of aircraft systems, carry out approved maintenance processes to maintain the airworthiness of the aircraft, complying with regulatory and organisational requirements. This role involves highly-skilled, complex, and specialist work, maintaining aircraft systems according to approved data and work instructions, and using relevant hand tools and equipment.
You must be able to research data sources, ensuring that on completion of a task all aircraft documentation is accurately completed and signed for. You will also demonstrate their ability to identify and resolve problems using the approved data, and processes and understand the limits of their authority/approval. A solid understanding of how and why Standard Operating Procedures are produced for maintaining aircraft and the importance of using them is essential.
You must be able to demonstrate flexibility to work both individually and as part of a global engineering team. This may involve supporting the maintenance of the MAF Fleet at locations other than their base location for up to 10 weeks per year.
You will also actively participate in the Quality and Safety Management Systems by seeking opportunities for continual improvement, cooperating with quality and safety audits, using safe working practices and contributing to positive safety culture, and conducting all work to standard.
Qualifications, Skills & Experience
- Secondary education completion certificate or equivalent achieved at 18 years old, that must include Maths, Physics, Chemistry, and ideally English, all at a high pass mark
- Completion of aircraft maintenance apprenticeship / traineeship with a recognised qualification or license outcome, such as; Cert IV Aeroskills, EASA Cat A License, FAA A&P Licence, or other recognised1 basic AME qualification / license equivalent
- Human Factors in Aviation Maintenance Initial certificate
- A minimum of two years’ aircraft maintenance experience (will accept experience gained during apprenticeship training)
- EWIS (Electrical Wiring Interconnection Systems) Target Group 1&2 certificate, for both mechanical and avionics engineers
- Strong command of technical English communication, minimum ICAO Level 4 National Aircraft Maintenance Engineer Licence
- Turbine or reciprocating engine maintenance experience
- Sheet metal and/or composite material fabrication or repair experience
- Electrical system maintenance experience