Have you ever thought about dedicating some time to learn a new language? Studying the local language not only gives you a valid reason to be in the country but also provides opportunities for making friends. In addition, language helps us to better understand culture and worldview as we interact with local people.
We are sharing God’s love with local people here in SE Asia. Many of them have never had a friend who is a real follower of Jesus. They are influenced by both “works” and rituals mentalities, with an absence of the power to overcome sin, nor the promise of salvation.
People here are traditionally closed and suspicious of anything that comes from outside. However they will start to open up if you come to be their friend, with a true desire to experience and learn from their culture. Studying the local language not only gives you a valid reason to be in the country but also provides opportunities for making friends. In addition, language helps us to better understand culture and worldview as we interact with local people, which will help us to share God’s love in a relevant way.
The existence of the spirit world is assumed. The area includes a significant population of those who call themselves Muslims. Religion is practiced quite openly. Although technology and modern conveniences are common, their worldview has changed little.
- language and culture learning
- join activities with local people (e.g. hanging out, sports, meals, attend special events, visit their homes or villages)
- team fellowship meeting and time with mentor once a week
-highly relational, experience sharing your faith back home
-willingness to experience the local culture and language
- Willing to adjust to the appropriate lifestyle common for locals
- Ability to be flexible and to cope with less structure
- Dress modestly and being sensitive to the dietary restrictions of this people group
- Contextualizing the language we use to share about Jesus. In the local culture it is important that the men relate to the men and the women relate to the women.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural team, teachable
*Australian citizens and/or residents only