Connect with and disciple young Christians who have come to faith while studying abroad, as you study Mandarin for one or two semesters (6-11 months)
Millions of Chinese students are studying abroad, and coming back to China with an openness to the gospel, or even having believed. However, 8 out of 10 of them give up their faith find their old life and new self clash on their return, and are prone to giving up their faith. Others struggle to survive in local fellowships that seem so different to what they attended when abroad.
As you attend regular gatherings of returned Chinese students (returnees), you will have the opportunity to connect with and disciple them. As you do this and build up relationships with regular attendees, and also learn their native language, it is our hope that you will not only encourage and impact them, but also, give you a taste of what God is doing in urban China.
This large urban center in China is home to people from all over China. With modern conveniences, efficient public transportation, access to Western groceries, traffic congestion, high-rises, and a massive population, living here is much like it would be in any global city... only, completely different! Be prepared for chaos, friendly people, delicious street food, and the hustle and bustle as you brush shoulders with China's urban billion in one of the world's largest cities.
- As a full-time language student, you will have the opportunity to learn Mandarin 10 hours (private classes) or 20 hours (at university) a week
- You will also attend weekly returnee gatherings alongside a long-term worker, and possibly do one-on-one meet-ups with several local believers
- You may also attend an English club - leading discussion groups, on occasion giving presentations - and building relationship with locals - believers and non-believers alike
- Willingness to learn
- A servant heart
- Some experience reading the Bible with others / leading Bible study
Some qualities that will be useful:
- Ability to be flexible
- Ability to build meaningful relationships with others
- Willingness to take initiative in making new friends
*Australian citizens and/or residents only