Many people with special needs are hidden away and viewed with deep shame. Their needs often go almost completely unmet. Their families struggle in silence as they seek to care for and support their loved ones. Come and use your professional skills to aid and love the disabled and the families struggling to support them.
We hope to help those with mental illness and their family members come to terms with the disability. We help them re-enter society, and provide tools to those who work with this population. In doing so, we hope to demonstrate Christ's love in a very tangible way. Together, we can impact the families, as well as the local community by modeling a Christ-like spirit.
This is a large urban city. You would live in an apartment building with services nearby. The crime rate is low and the climate is moderate - humid summers and mild winters. Schooling options for children include an international school in the city.
- Help set up and deliver community psychiatric rehabilitaion services
- Pass on the value of holistic care to the local practitioners
- Organize and develop peer support groups
- Provide counseling and support to individuals and their family
- Help carers learn how to care for those with mental illnesses
- Degree in social work
- Experience working with those suffering psychiatric illnesses
- Chinese language proficiency a plus - language and cultrual training provided for longer term commitments
- A heart for those with special needs
- Able to work in a multi-cultural team
- Humility and flexiblity crucial
*Australian citizens and/or residents only