The Pearl Family Garden is a ministry reaching out to prostitutes who live and work in "tea shops" in the Wanhua district of Taipei. It provides spiritual, personal and practical care for these marginalised women. Currently there are no other ministries seeking to serve these women.
OMF is committed to sharing God's love with unreached and marginalised people in Taiwan. The Pearl Family Garden has pioneered work in Taipei city and is now partnering with churches to reach prostitutes in other cities too. More workers are needed to enable the work to continue to expand.
Missionaries will live in apartments in the neighborhood where they are serving, mostly in urban environments. Taiwan is wealthy and advanced, so the standard of living is relatively high. Communications and transportation are excellent. The culture, language, food and values of the people are primarily Chinese.
* Visitation and building relationships with the women.
* Personal evangelism
* Discipleship of new believers.
* Addressing issues of debt relief and economic bondage to help the women to escape their current lifestyle.
* Some experience with similar types of people and ministry would be especially appreciated.
* Experience and training in counseling or social work would be a plus.
* Experience and/or understanding of micro-finance or similar strategies to help people escape their economic bondage to this lifestyle, would also be beneficial.
* Must have initiative, a burden for evangelism, and definite evidence of fruitful evangelistic ministry.
* Must have great sensitivity to those who are disadvantaged and hurt by society.
* Must be willing to work as part of a team.
* Some formal Bible training is necessary. The government also requires incoming missionaries to have recently spent one to two years in Christian ministry.
* Willing to learn Mandarin or Taiwanese to a high level in order to communicate effectively.
* Need to adjust to a busy, crowded, and often noisy environment. Life in Taiwan is often exciting but also exhausting.
* Oral methods of communication (e.g. Bible storying, testimonies, music, drama) are most effective in evangelism and discipleship. A willingness to learn these ways of communicating the gospel is essential.
* Taiwanese people are deeply religious. Spiritual attack and demonic activity are not uncommon. Spiritual maturity is needed to deal with these situations.
* Practical skills or training in areas that can be used to serve these ladies are a plus. e.g. counseling, social work, education, crafts
*Australian citizens and/or residents only