OMF is working in the Wanhua area of Taipei. This is a low income area and there is a high rate of family breakdown, abusive relationships and drug and alcohol abuse. Contacts are made through activities held in local schools, parks, and community centers.
There are opportunities to expand the ministry and to have a much greater impact through involvement in more schools and by the establishment of a gospel center. More personnel are needed to make this possible. Those reached will either be integrated in existing churches or new churches will be started if required.
Missionaries will live in apartments in the neighborhood where they are serving, mostly in urban environments. Taiwan is wealthy and advanced, so the standard of living is relatively high. Communications and transportation are excellent. The culture, language, food and values of the people are primarily Chinese.
* Evangelism in schools, in local parks, through community activities.
* Providing a model of Christian family relationships to families/couples in the Wanhua area.
* Providing some type of practical assistance where possible. e.g. Running adult education or parenting classes, offering counseling sessions etc.
* Discipling new believers and gathering them into small groups.
* Assisting Taiwanese churches to disciple and integrate new converts.
* A passion to reach the lost and proven skills in evangelism. These are more important than higher theological qualifications or prior experience in church planting. We are not looking for fully qualified church planters, but people willing to learn and be trained.
* Some formal Bible training is necessary. The government also requires incoming missionaries to have recently spent one to two years in Christian ministry.
* Must be willing to work as part of a team and work alongside or under Taiwanese leadership.
* Must possess creativity and initiative - these are needed to try out new models of evangelism and to experiment with different church structures.
* Must be flexible - we are looking for people who are open to new ideas and able to function well in an unstructured situation with a lot of freedom.
* Willing to learn Mandarin or Taiwanese to a high level in order to communicate effectively.
* Need to adjust to a busy, crowded, and often noisy environment. Life in Taiwan is often exciting but also exhausting.
* Oral methods of communication (e.g. Bible storying, testimonies, music, drama) are most effective in evangelism and discipleship. A willingness to learn these ways of communicating the gospel is essential.
* Taiwanese people are deeply religious. Spiritual attack and demonic activity are not uncommon. Spiritual maturity is needed to deal with these situations.
* Practical skills or training in areas that can be used to serve working class people are a plus. e.g. counseling, social work, education
*Australian citizens and/or residents only