Mercy Medical Center offers the opportunity to use your medical skills to care for the Cambodian people, train local medical staff and make disciples throughout the nation.
Cambodia is one of the least developed countries in East Asia in terms of healthcare. There are numerous opportunities to both provide direct patient care to the Cambodia people and partner with national providers, helping improve their skills and ability to care for their nation.
Our team includes a range of physicians, surgeons, dentists, nurses, therapists, nutritionists, and other health professionals. We partner with Mercy Medical Center (http://mercymedcambodia.org), caring for the poor, the rich, the disabled, and the marginalized. We teach professional students, health professionals, villagers and each other.
Our purpose is to see people come to faith in Christ, to encourage those who believe, to role-model what it means to be a Christian professional and glorify God with our lives.
All positions are teaching/training positions. Missionaries will work alongside national staff with the goal of raising them into their positions. All positions are 5+ years unless specified.
Full time: Exclusively allocated to MMC
- 2 primary care physicians (Internal Medicine, Family medicine)
- 1-2 general surgeons (would consider 1-3 years)
- 1 Ophthalmologist
- 1 Registered Nurse or Nurse Practitioner
- 1 nurse anesthetist (or anesthesiologist)
Part time: May be allocated elsewhere but with a regular commitment to MMC as agreed upon
- Lab Technician (1-3 years)
- Xray technician (1-3 years)
- Physical Therapist
All medical staff must have current licensure from their home countries. Experience in a hospital setting is preferred. Residency (post graduate) level training is required for Doctors.
Serving with excellence, incarnational evangelism and making disciples within the health system. In general, we partner with local professionals in development and teaching roles. We have also been involved in Healthcare Christian Fellowship and the Dental Student Ministry. Specific roles:
* General Surgeon: As in all MMC positions, must be committed to train and work with national doctors and nurses. Mid- or long-term. Could be just out of residency or later. Experience in urology and orthopaedics would be helpful.
* Laboratory (Medical) Technologist: The usual responsibilities of a fully trained and experienced laboratory technologist: clinical work, supervisory roles and discipling lab staff. Will have MT, MLS or equivalent degree, with at least 1-2 years hospital experience. Mid- or long-term.
* Nurse Practitioner (NP, 2): The usual responsibilities of a Nurse Practitioner: clinical work and supervisory roles. Will have Advanced Practice Registered Nurse (APRN) qualification, up to date in your home country. Mid- or long-term.
* Nursing Program Director (A Nurse or Nurse Practitioner): One full-time (4 days a week) experienced nurse (minimum 5 years) who would enjoy training, coordinating and being a support to the national nurse leaders. We’d be glad to have a male as a model to the many male nurses on our staff, but a female is fine. They need good people management and mentoring skills. Prefer long-term but would consider mid-term.
* Ophthalmologist: For training in all eye disease treatments and cataract surgeries. New eye centre, we have one Cambodian Ophthalmologist part time, will need someone to train and raise up more. Also, Family Practice residents will rotate to learn basic eye care/ disease diagnoses, etc. Mid- or long-term.
* Family Medicine Physicians (or Internists): The usual responsibilities of fully trained physicians: clinical work and supervisory roles. Will hold MD (or equivalent), with appropriate postgraduate training for Family Medicine (or Internists), license up to date in your home country. At least 1-2 years hospital experience. Mid- or long-term.
* Nurse Anaesthetist: The usual responsibilities of a CRNA in the operating room: clinical work and supervisory roles. Will hold CRNA (Certified Registered Nurse Anaesthetist), license up to date in your home country. At least 1-2 year’s experience administering anaesthesia in an operating room Long-term (3+ years).
* Registered Nurse (RN, 2): The usual responsibilities of an RN: clinical work and supervisory roles. Will hold RN (registered nurse), or BSN (Bachelor of Science, Nursing); up to date in your home country. Long-term (3+ years).
* Surgical Nurse: Experienced and able to teach surgical nursing skills as well as OR organization and planning. Would serve as an OR administrative manager as well, while training 1-2 national nurses in these skills. Long-term.
- Professional certification/licensure in their home country.
- Appropriate level of experience (varying according to role).
- A deep and growing love for God.
- A desire to serve the Cambodian people.
- Ability to share your faith and disciple others in your daily life.
- Willingness to learn and speak the Khmer language, understand and appreciate Khmer culture.
- Flexible early retirees are welcome.
Christian medical worldview, adapted to a more resource-limited setting just outside Phnom Penh, as well as language and culture orientation to be able to live and work in a totally Khmer setting.
- Willingness to adopt a simple lifestyle in keeping with a Cambodian person of similar status.
- Ability to be adaptable in a ministry context which may lack resources and present significant spiritual, emotional and cultural challenges.
- Ability and desire to train, teach and mentor others.
- This is not a salaried position; you will need to trust the Lord for personal support.
- For English as a second language applicants, these levels of English competence are required: IELTS- 5.0, TOEFL- 500 (173 IN TOEFL computer version), TOEIC- 675, or OPE- 3.0.
*Australian citizens and/or residents only