Learning Mandarin will immerse you into local culture and allow you to have meaningful interaction with local people as you find ways to practice your new skills. Local people will want to practice their English with you which will give you opportunity to share your culture with them. For a duration of 6 - 11 months, Mandarin learners have a unique opportunity to connect with the local student population, as well as make an impact on the team by encouraging long-term cross-cultural workers.
Language learning is the first step long-term cross-cultural workers take in reaching out to the many people who need Jesus. One billion people will live in China's cities by 2030. Learn Chinese and take the first step to reaching out to them in their mother tongue.
This opportunity is available in a large city with a population of over 20 million, so you are guaranteed to witness noise, traffic, crowds like you've never seen before, and pollution. But the opportunity to brush shoulders with and even make an impact on the urban billion is going to be something you'll not easily forget.
* learn Mandarin in 1-on-1 classes
* form friendships with locals through various activities such as English corner and church, and share of your life and faith
* observe some of the different situations and opportunities in China's cities
* as a part of the team for 6-11 months, you will have a wealth of opportunity to be heavily involved in various ministries (for example, sharing at and running English corner, leading at youth group and other training programs, being part of a local small group)
* a desire to learn Mandarin
* a desire to engage in cross-cultural ministry
* ability to be flexible
* willingness to give things a try
* willingness to take initiative in making friendships
* preparedness to step outside one's comfort zone
* preparedness to manage one's own time and be independent
*Australian citizens and/or residents only