A large number of Indonesians (about 200,000 in 2014) serve in Taiwan as house helpers, and laborers. The majority are women. These people are easy to contact and have many practical needs. This is a strategic opportunity to reach this large group that God has brought to Taiwan.
OMF is committed to reaching diaspora communities with the gospel and preparing them for return to their home country. There is currently an open door to this large number of Indonesians in Taiwan. Workers are needed to take hold of this opportunity while it exists.
Missionaries will live in apartments in the neighborhood where they are serving, mostly in urban environments. Taiwan is wealthy and advanced, so the standard of living is relatively high. Communciations and transportation are excellent.
The ministry is at a pioneering stage so there is a great degree of flexibility for it to be developed according to the gifts and creativity of the individual.
It would likely include the following:
- Making contact with Indonesian house helpers
- Sharing your faith
- One-to-one or small group discipleship of believers
- Preparing believers to return to Indonesia and helping link them wiht support back home
* Ability to speak Indonesian
* A passion to share the gospel
* Some formal Bible training is necessary. The government also requires incoming workers to have recently spent one to two years in ministry.
* Must possess creativity and initiative, and a willingness to try out new models of evangelism.
* Must be flexible - we are looking for people who are able to function well in an unstructured situation with a lot of freedom.
* Willing to learn some Mandarin in order to live comfortably in Taiwan.
* Need to adjust to a busy, crowded, and often noisy environment. Life in Taiwan is often exciting but also exhausting.
* Oral methods of communciation (e.g. Bible storying, testimonies, music, drama) are most effective in evangelism and discipleship. A willingness to learn these ways of communicating the gospel is essential.
*Australian citizens and/or residents only