Support missions in Japan by using your practical skills to help out at the OMF Japan Guest Home and the Japan Headquarters in Ichikawa (Greater Tokyo area) for 3 to 12 months.
The Japanese are the second largest unreached people group in the world. OMF Japan has a vision to see a vibrant church in every community. The JHQ office and Ichikawa Guest Home are core parts of OMF Japan’s infrastructure. The Guest Home serves the OMF Japan missionary community and others by providing overnight accommodation as well as a place where meetings, seminars and training events are hosted.
The core of the role is providing support for the operation of the Guest Home. The Guest Home Hosts are a family of 5 with three boys (4, 7, 9) and need someone to provide support and backup with keeping the 8 rooms and 2 apartments up and running, and to also help with the children and housework.
The next part of the role is providing practical support to the JHQ Office. This includes maintenance tasks, assisting with events, occasional cleaning, childcare, and just generally helping out.
The role may also include helping OMFers in the wider Kanto (Tokyo) area, with practical matters, supporting families, and/or participating in and supporting ministries.
Ichikawa is a city on the edge of Tokyo. It has 4 distinct seasons with a hot summer and fairly cold winter. The Guest Home is located in a convenient but quiet residential district with lots of green, less than 10 minutes' walk from 3 train stations. There are many shops and other facilities (including medical services) within walking distance. There are parks and rivers which are easily accessible by bike or walking. Japan is a highly efficient, clean and safe country to live and work in. Some level of Japanese is helpful for living in Japan, but is not essential.
- Supporting the Guest Home (3-4 days/week minimum): Help with cleaning rooms and laundry. Other work in and around the Guest Home depending on gifts and interest such as cooking, gardening, repairs and maintenance. Cover on the Guest Home Hosts’ day off (Saturday) and holidays. Occasionally assisting with childcare and housework.
- Helping at JHQ: Help out at events (possibly including helping with childcare), attending JHQ meetings and prayer gatherings, being available to help out in other practical ways.
- Wider Kanto Ministry: Attending and helping out at ministry activities depending on opportunities, interests, and giftings.
- English required.
- Japanese helpful but NOT required.
- German or Swiss German helpful.
- Experience with childcare desirable. (Childcare is a very valuable, but not essential part of the role)
- Age 18-80!
- Good level of health and fitness for manual and physical tasks.
- No specific practical skills required, but very welcome (e.g. DIY maintenance, carpentry)!
- For a term of service longer than 6 months, a tertiary-level qualification (in any subject) is required for visa purposes.
Depending on how long you will be staying in Japan, you will be living in an apartment or sharehouse in the Ichikawa or surrounding area.
*Australian citizens and/or residents only