Many families living cross-culturally choose to educate their children at home, or have to do so because of limited alternatives. A Homeschool Tutor or Assistant will usually work with one family, assisting them by teaching a full curriculum or certain subjects, on a day by day basis, in order to enrich the children's educational experience and help parents who usually have many other responsibilities.
A Homeschool Assistant will work alongside parents in teaching, and may teach only some subjects or particular children within the family. A Homeschool Tutor will have a higher level of responsibility, and may be required to work unsupervised, taking sole responsibility for teaching a broad curriculum to one or more students. Usually parents will provide a curriculum of their choice. Regular responsibilities will include:
- Teaching for a set number of hours per day
- Preparing lessons and keeping records of progress as appropriate
- Willingness to take on other duties or to undertake language study as required in the local context
- Relevant skills or experience in teaching or working with children and young people
- Strong interpersonal and team-working skills
- Flexibility; ability to take initiative and work independently
- Previous cross-cultural experience would be helpful but not essential
- A minimum one year commitment is recommended
- Willingness to undergo screening and background checks as appropriate to work with children
- Note that homeschool tutors will be required to apply as Associates because of the higher level of responsibility; Homeschool assistants may apply as Serve Asia workers
Your living situation will depend on the family you support. You could be in a large city or small town. Usually you would be living separately from the family - in a shared apartment or independently.
*Australian citizens and/or residents only