Folk Catholics hold to many of the practices of the Catholic church, but these coexist with strong animistic beliefs. These Folk Catholics need to hear that Jesus is the only mediator; that salvation is through faith alone; and that Scripture is the final authority.
Helping Folk Catholics come to a clear understanding of the Bible and become disciples of Jesus, will lead to the vision of Biblical communities of faith in the unreached communities of the Philippines. This will in turn lead to a transformation of society.
The vast majority of the unreached communities in the Eastern Visayas are rural poor areas, mainly made up of coconut farming and fishing communities. Folk Catholicism, communist insurgents, economic depression and repeated ?atural disasters' make this area a real challenge to reach. Electricity, running water, and modern amenities are not always accessible.
- Build relationships in rural communities
- Use easily transferable methods for Bible studies
- Facilitate communities of believers into Biblical communities of faith
- Train and equip leaders in church multiplication
- Opportunities also exist for involvement in livelihood projects, youth work, and developing indigenous worship
- We are looking for people with a variety of gifts, experiences, and skills to share the load
- Minimum of two years of Bible school training with cross-cultural studies or equivalent
- Willing and able to teach Scripture through easily transferable methods
- Experience in discipleship, teaching, and relationship building
- Able to work in an international team, alongside local believers
- Able to persevere in ministry in a spiritually dark context with frequent natural disasters and wide-spread corruption
- An attitude of flexibility and willingness to learn how things are done in another country is essential
- The applicant must be willing to work in remote rural locations with simple living conditions
- Application through the normal OMF process as an associate, affiliate or member is required
- Filipino (Tagalog) language study for a minimum of one year (to reach a set proficiency level) before learning the local language will be expected upon arrival
- This is not a salaried position - support is required
*Australian citizens and/or residents only