Our project aims to provide a way for women who have been previously working in the sex industry to begin a new life where they can find healing and know themselves as valued and loved. The women are mainly young (16-24 years old) who have come from the countryside to the city to find work. We have a jewellery company which provides alternative, safe employment for the women, and additionally provides accommodation, training and discipleship. It also acts as a base for continued outreach to women still working in brothels.
The women who come to our project almost all come from broken homes and many have experienced abuse and other traumas - but are tremendously precious to God. . Our aim is that they would find healing from past wounds and experienced counsellors can help this happen.
As one of the large cities in China that house the urban billion, the city is developing fast (population currently at 10 million) and most modern amenities are readily available. Truth be told it's not the world's most beautiful city and often air quality is poor, relatively few foreigners live here, English is not widely spoken, and western food is limited in choice. But - the novelty means that locals are generally very welcoming and friendly to international visitors.
- Getting to know and befriending the girls
- Spending time giving the girls one on one counselling
- Giving training relevant to the women's needs and your areas of experience
-This opportunity is only suitable for women
-Some degree of Mandarin language ability
-Counselling training and relevant experience
- Non-judging, grace-filled attitude
- Willingness to submit to and serve under local leadership
- Willingness to love people who are not always easy to love and serve people who don't always appreciate you
*Australian citizens and/or residents only