Taiwan has many working class communities with no effective gospel witness. Working class people are cut off from most existing middle class churches by lifestyle, values and worldview. Even if they are interested in the gospel, many working class people feel too sinful or too stupid to attend existing churches. OMF is seeking to communicate the gospel in ways that help working class people know that Christ's love is for them too.
We can easily find places for 20+ church planters in both urban and rural locations.
OMF is seeking to pioneer in new areas and to partner with local churches who have a similar vision. More people are needed to join existing church planting teams, to help start new teams, or to assist local churches. The greatest need is for more workers who are willing to befriend and love working class people and serve their spiritual and physical needs.
Missionaries will live in apartments in the neighborhood where they are serving, mostly in urban environments. Taiwan is wealthy and advanced, so the standard of living is relatively high. Communications and transportation are excellent. The culture, language, food and values of the people are primarily Chinese.
* Taking time to understand the local community, build relationships and serve people.
* Seeking to meet the practical, felt needs of people in the community.
* Evangelism in schools, in local parks, through community activities and amongst neighbors.
* Discipling new believers and gathering them into small groups.
* Where local churches exist, working alongside them to integrate people who are reached into the life of the church.
* A passion to reach the lost and gifts in personal evangelism and discipleship. These are more important than higher theological qualifications or prior experience in church planting. We are not looking for fully qualified church planters, but people willing to learn and be trained.
* Some formal Bible college training is necessary. The government also requires incoming missionaries to have recently spent one to two years in Christian ministry.
* Must be willing to work as part of a team.
* Creativity and initiative are needed to try out new methods of evangelism and to experiment with different church structures.
* Flexibility, open to new ideas and able to function well in an unstructured situation with a lot of freedom.
* Willing to learn Mandarin or Taiwanese to a high level in order to communicate effectively.
* Need to adjust to a busy, crowded, and often noisy environment. Life in Taiwan is often exciting but also exhausting.
* Oral methods of communication (e.g. Bible storying, testimonies, music, drama) are most effective in evangelism and discipleship. A willingness to learn these ways of communicating the gospel is essential.
* Taiwanese people are deeply religious. Spiritual attack and demonic activity are not uncommon. Spiritual maturity is needed to deal with these situations.
* Practical skills or training in areas that can be used to serve working class people are a plus. e.g. counseling, social work, education
*Australian citizens and/or residents only