God has given OMF the incredible privilege of being able to touch East Asian peoples in many strategic places in the world. A CDRM worker invests in Chinese living overseas with a focus on those who will return to China. They seek to see Chinese come to Christ, be discipled in Christ and trained to reach out to others in making disciples of Christ. It is a discipleship role, journeying with Chinese to see them come into a relationship with Jesus which transforms them into followers of Jesus.
Chinese people are living in nearly every country on earth. Our focus is on reaching the strategic group of Chinese living temporarily overseas. Our hope is that those who become Christians will return to China with a passion to share their faith in Christ with their fellow Chinese.
We long, “to see indigenous mission movements and an indigenous biblical church planting movement in each of the people groups of East Asia”. You will play a critical role as you come alongside those who will return, training them to be missional and impacting life in China across society and the church. We seek to equip Returnees to share Christ, serve in the local church and model Christlikeness, thereby being involved in establishing vibrant churches and fellowships which will reproduce themselves.
Recent BBC news reports (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-44872808) show that Australia will soon overtake the UK with the number of international students. This puts Australia number two in the world with only the USA having more international students. Australia’s population is only a fraction of the US and UK so the ratio of International students is the highest in OECD nations. The national average for international students in Australian universities is 22% (compared to 7% in the USA) - although many universities in greater Sydney and Melbourne are much higher. Typically a third or more of these students come from China. As an example the university of Sydney has 17,000 Chinese students. 1/4 of it’s students come from China. The opportunities and needs are overwhelming. Currently OMF has one couple working with Chinese in the whole of Australia.
- Working in partnership with campus ministries like Australia Fellowship of Evangelical Students (AFES), Power to Change and Mandarin Bible Studies
- Working with a team of volunteers as part of the ministry in Australia
- Making contact with and welcoming Chinese people to Australia
- Assist in running small group and individual Bible studies in Mandarin
- Mentoring and discipling Chinese believers
- Running seminars and workshops to build up Chinese believers
- Preparing believers to return home, helping to link them with Chinese churches and fellowships
- Supporting and encouraging returnees in China.
- Assisting/training local believers/churches/groups in all of the above in a culturally appropriate way.
For further information please look at the following website: www.thrivingturtles.org
- Formal Bible and missiological training
- Chinese (Mandarin) language and culture competence. We can arrange a four year training program in China to gain the needed language and culture skills.
- Must be a resident or citizen of Australia - we are unable to sponsor visas to Australia.
- A high level of Chinese language
= A significant understanding of mainland Chinese culture and the China local church
- A good level of English in order to function as part of OMF and the DRM team.
- A passion to share the gospel together with perseverance.
- Ability to relate to various local churches, other groups and mission agencies, including those of differing theological persuasion.
- Preferably possessing creativity and initiative, and a willingness to try out new models of outreach and evangelism.
- A pioneering spirit to be able to reach out to new groups and/or perhaps start a new work in places where none exists.
- Flexibility - people are needed who are able to function and manage their time well in an unstructured situation with a fair amount of freedom.
*Australian citizens and/or residents only