Position Title: Treasurer (Volunteer)
We are a growing and very active charity based in Perth, working with children and the disadvantaged in Kenya and Burundi. We are seeking an experienced accountant or financial controller to join our Board as our Treasurer. The Treasurer’s role works closely with our CEO and Board to manage cash flow and budgeting and oversee the work performed by our Bookkeeper as required. This Board level role offers a fantastic opportunity to obtain solid experience inside a community services environment.
1. Oversee the role of a bookkeeper to ensure funds are allocated correctly to various accounts.
2. Prepare a monthly cash flow report from the financial statements by no later than the 15th of each month to distribute to the CEO and Access Hope Board.
3. Create an annual budget to present to the CEO and Board annually and update as required.
4. Attend and report at monthly Board meetings.
5. Monitor AUD/KSH exchange rate for Kenya transfer and advise of CEO of any change that will benefit the organisation.
6. Oversee preparation and paperwork for submission to, and otherwise liaise with the Auditor.
7. Attend promotional events where possible.
8. Three months notice is required when resigning from this position.
Skills and Capabilities:
· Comprehensive knowledge of MYOB with accounting/financial control skills and ability to present cashflow reports.
· Good organisational skills
· Effective communication skills
· Work well with a team
· Experience in Excel, Word and Outlook.
· Have a heart for missions and to serve the Lord through the ministry of Access Hope Inc.
The role is required to:
· act with reasonable care and diligence
· act honestly in the best interests of the charity and its purposes
· not misuse the position or information gained in the position
· disclose any conflict of interest.
Equipment / Resources:
· Own computer and printer and must be able to install and use MYOB.
· Internet and email access.
National Police Clearance: Required
Working alone or with others: Alone from home, with regular email and mobile phone contact.
Attendance at Board meetings within the Perth metropolitan area.
Key Reporting Relationships:
The role is accountable to the Access Hope Inc. CEO
More Detailed Information
The Bookkeeper will reconcile all accounts and send to the Treasurer by the 15th of the following month for reporting to the monthly Board Meeting. Completed reports are to be emailed to the CEO.
An overview of the financial situation is to be read to the Board at each meeting. The following reports are required to be brought to the Board meetings for perusal if required:
· Balance Sheet
· Profit & Loss YTD
· Job Activity Detail – Bookkeeper to send a copy to our Sponsorship Coordinator
· Kenya Budget Transfer (sent by the 26th of the month)
· Treasurer’s Report for the Board (this could include the Kenya Transfer amount instead of the Budget transfer sheet).
These reports are to be kept on file. The Board doesn’t require them. The Bookkeeper role will send them to the CEO:
· Westpac Cheque Reconciliation
· Mastercard Reconciliation
· PayPal Reconciliation
· Westpac Holding Account – Provisional Funds (new account yet to be reconciled)
The Bookkeeper is to send Account Accruals Reports to the CEO and the Administration Assistant who needs any showing donations that require thank you letters:
· General Income
· Prison Fund
· Burundi Housing
Copy the CEO into all emails to keep her updated.
*Australian citizens and/or residents only